Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I am not very sure how the movie the invasion of the body snatchers directly relates with the cold war, but think some connections can be made. Some thing that stood out is how in the movie the pod people are all the same and without feelings or sentiment. I related this to communism where every one is supposed to be equal. This idea also reminded me of the Fat Man reading where it mentions the enemy to be “cold blooded, machinelike opponent…a mechanized Enemy Other.” (Page 6 line 40) How I related the movie to the red scare, is by noticing that in the body snatchers people little by little became this thing. In referral to the red scare and McCarthyism it compares because in the red scare and in McCarthyism people are paranoid of the government and public figures being communist there is a tension or rather phobia of people being communist. Also thought the movie there is a lure to be equal, to have no feeling to just admit the change. (to become a communist) The hero of the movie fights this change, which includes no love and tells the world of this danger. A connection that I made was when the friend of the doctor states that he didn’t have a choice to be free he had to become this creature. I connected this to communist politics were you don’t get to chose you just admit and follow.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on the fact that "Invasion..." was a weird movie to be related to the Cold War. I couldn't really relate this to communism until that part as you mentioned at the end of your post. They made it seem like it was inevitable and there was no way of avoiding becoming one of the "pod people". Also, I like your reference to the Fat Man reading as well; that quote is an interesting way of describing the 'enemy'.

    ReplyDelete